Today is a good place to be.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Loud and Non-listening - A Boy Thing

Nathan has catapulted into his 4's. These are terrible, similar to the 2's, but in my opinion worse because I know he knows better. I know he can understand and express himself more clearly. He outright defies me and his Dad. And what is up with the violence? We don't expose him to violence- Bob the Builder isn't very violent- but he hits and turns everything into a "boomer".

I can deal with the defiance. I am getting really good and not yelling as much(They know now when I yell, I REALLY mean it.). I can stay quite composed as I dump his 45 pound body on the bottom step for time out(I keep hoping one of these times it will put me into labor carrying/dragging him down the hall.). I am getting good and counting to ten in my head too(My jaw sometimes hurts because I am clinching it too tight.). I am ignoring the violence except when he actually hurts someone- and I will ask him to use his gentle voice/words/hands when he is getting out of hand.

But I can not deal with the CONSTANT NOISE! I just can't stand the constant sounds and whoops and eeeee's and high pitched noises that come out of that kid! Everything he plays with has a sound that comes out of his mouth. Its always very loud. Can anyone give me a volume control? And raising my voice to meet his only hurts my own ears even move. UGH. I can't wait until I can take Excedrin again. I will say I do enjoy his actual voice. He is has the sweetest sounding voice, asks the sweetest questions, and is utterly adorable when his volume level is around 3.







Definition of a boy: A noise with dirt on it.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Just look at the look on his face in this photo! What a boy! I always felt like I missed out not having brothers, and maybe the tolerance for the noise would be something we acclimated to over the years. But I find myself wondering WHY, WHY, WHY about Joseph's constant noise too! It truly is a boy thing! Enjoy the silence tomorrow and know that I will have TWO screaming, screeching, howling boys! And I will gladly do it cause you have Joseph over so much! Actually it will be fun!

Tonya said...

YAY! I love that you are on blogger now! I have been such a slacker at reading blogs for at least a month, so I am so out of the loop. We need to catch up soon!