Today is a good place to be.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Difference Between Type1 & Type 2

OK- so we are learning in our household all about diabetes.



A quick, harmless, free health screening at Jeremy's work has encouraged both of us to learn more about what this as it may be affecting our family. I thought Jeremy was just being supportive last fall and failing the test because I failed my first gestational diabetes test for this pregnancy. How sweet-- sympathy diabetes. I didn't fail the 4 hour test. Jeremy failed his month long monitoring.



How does a nice tall, slim man in the prime of his life(kind of) have type 2 diabetes? OK, so he isn't super active, he does eat a lot of candy, but over all he is quite healthy. And skinny--no one expects a skinny young dude to have a problem. Funny how we simply assume if you are fat you either already have it, or will have it one day. Its like we figure this disease is simply for those "not taking care of themselves" thru diet and exercise. But this isn't always the case. While lifestyle and weight are definitely factors for diabetes, they are not the only indicator. Family history, ethnicity, blood pressure, weight, age are all factors.

So- what is the difference?

Type 2 is when your body simply isn't efficient at moving sugar out of the blood stream and has become resistant to the effects of insulin or doesn't make enough. This is why blood sugar levels are high. Ways to deal with this is thru diet, exercise, weight loss(Except in Jer's case), and possible medication if you can't get it under control. This in my opinion is the preferred diabetes(ya right) if you have to have one. You have options. You have ways to combat the problem. The ways are lifestyle changes and lifestyle changes for good. You can live with Type 2 and not need medication.



Type 1 means you are just screwed. ha ha. Just kidding. Your body(pancreas actually) simply does not produce insulin or produces too little insulin(Which is a hormone that helps move sugar into your bloodstream letting you run around if you feel like it and process food normally). Type 1 is generally diagnosed by age 40. My prime of life husband is 33. He can stay a couch potato- but will have to give himself a shot(He said I will have to give him the shots, but I am not sure if he was joking or not). He will also need to eat better to control his blood sugars without the use of too much medication. At this point he is not on any injections, but will add yet another pill to his daily regime.



I found thru my research, if a Father has diabetes, he is more likely to pass it onto his children than if a Mother has it(Is this proof that genetically we mothers love our children more?). I have had my suspicions about my little man and plan on taking him to get this looked at since now my children have yet ANOTHER genetic issue to be checked on their medical records. As if various types of cancer, heart problems, and stroke wasn't enough...



Anyways-- Jeremy will be OK. This isn't the end of the world and we live in a time where medical technology is quite advanced and life isn't going to end. Shoot, it shouldn't even change that much except a few pokes here and there. We will take some classes thru the hospital and my focus will be on getting Jeremy the proper nutrition for his new path in life. This coincides nicely with our little one being born as I will be starting back on my weight watchers plan to maintain a healthy weight. Our food we eat is already very healthy, and Jeremy will learn about a little thing called "portion control"- something WW introduced me to and won't be a problem. Little Man will be OK- and I will post an update you once I know anything(post baby most likely).

I am an information junkie and even though I am not happy about dealing with these new challenges in my family, I am excited to become an expert in a new area and can possibly lend support to others in the same situation. So... if you want do something nice for Jeremy, don't bring over cookies- bring over some flowers or offer him some free babysitting. (You can still bring me cookies--I promise NOT to share!)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Knowledge is the key and your husband is blessed to have a wife who will figure it all out for him and let him know what to expect! I have always wondered the difference between type 1 and 2. Now I know, thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

OK, so I totally just talked to you on the phone, minutes ago and told you I was finally going to start studying! Then I thought, I haven't checked out the blog scene lately, which of course means I have to comment! Now you may not believe me, and I am not sure I trust myself when I say, I am REALLY going to go study now!! So you should go have that baby, that would be a REAL excuse for me to forget the studying! Love you!