Today is a good place to be.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Gone are the curls....


There is much to be troubled about in this life. This is a crazy world we live in where there is much discrimination and hatred, much crime and poverty, sadness and pain. I know this is a silly thing to be sad about, but my baby's curls are gone. My husband has not loved my sons hair as much as I have. I admit it was getting quite long, but I love his red locks. If you see pictures of me at his age, we have the same hair- same color, same curls. I loved running my fingers thru his curls and feeling the sweet silk in my hands, feeling his small head against my palms. We shared many quiet moments of love and affection with this tiny act- many, many times a day.

Jeremy talked Nathan into letting him cut his hair, something he has wanted to do for quite some time. We all went to the garage for showtime. Jeremy showed Nathan how the electric razor wouldn't hurt him, in fact it tickled against his hand. I stayed with Nathan to help him not cry. As his beautiful curls fell to the ground, I watched my baby boy turn into my big boy of almost 4 years old. He has been a big boy for a long time now, but in my mind I enjoyed seeing that baby face framed by gorgeous hair that I wish my daughter could have. His curls delighted those who saw him: The little old ladies at the market, the big tough men working on the street by the library, and everyone in our family. I left the garage before the cut was complete. I couldn't watch anymore. He doesn't look like my Nathan anymore. The good thing is that Nathan was not worried at all. He completely trusted his Dad and started enjoying the process, even swinging his head around in rock star fashion during the cut. He looked at himself in the mirror and told his Daddy he likes his short hair and won't have curls ever again.

Gone are the curls... broken is mommy's heart. But happy I am that my son is strong and healthy. The curls would have to go eventually. I am watching my children grow and develop every day, and for this my heart is full. For this I am grateful. I have so very much in this life- so much I can only let myself grieve my sons cut hair for only a few minutes, and then count my blessings.













No comments: