Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It shouldn't surprise me....

I have had the hardest time lately trying to get Kathryn to take her medicine for these darn UTI's. And I am not looking forward to doing so for the next two years- YIKES! She is so little, but she can clamp that mouth down so hard I have to pry her jaws open with my pinky finger, put the dropper in, and squeeze, but not too much at a time. Even then she spits most of it out.
Well, yesterday we had a break thru. Leila-Girl. Leila can make her sister smile and be happy during the entire process. And it shouldn't surprise me as I think back on it. When Nathan was a wee little one he had some problems with bronchitis and asthma and allergies made it pretty scary for us. After having spent a day in the ER as his blood oxygen was too low, we had him home and we had to give him his first breathing treatment. He howled. Jeremy and I and hated doing this to him. Our little Leila was just about 18 months- she didn't know what to do. She was so distressed for her brother. She was howling a bit too, running around not knowing what to do. After about 5 minutes of us confining Nathan and both Jeremy and I being quite stressed out, Leila simply come over and grabbed Nathan's hand. He calmed a little bit. But life was better for everyone. I remember tearing up as I saw the love she had and her natural ability for compassion and ability to nurture. I know I will see her personality continue to grow in this capacity. It is truly a blessing to watch this sweet little girl.


2 comments:

lindaharper said...

Poor baby but what a beautiful picture of your girls!

Oyama Family said...

So cute! I am so sorry you have to do the meds thing for so long, Graham is the same way with it- clamps down shut. Aren't sibling relationships amazing to watch...thank goodness for funny big sisters!