Today is a good place to be.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Language

Language is so interesting for me. I loved French in high school and decided to learn more I needed to live in a french speaking home. My parents obliged and I lived in Brussels Belgium, french speaking section, for my senior year of school. I would never call myself a master of the language, but I did learn enough to get myself around. That year in Belgium made my accelerated 2 years of French in college pretty easy. I was amazed last summer with Wendy's visit how fast it came back to me.


Right now my baby is cooing and making the sweetest sounds. I learned that in no matter the language or culture, all babies start cooing at the same age(a month and half or so). We all start out the same! I think that is wonderful.

I am thinking of this as I placed Kathryn in front of the Baby Einstein DVD Language Nursery and she is listening to songs and poems in several languages. I am also reflecting because we will be applying to have Leila in the two-way Spanish immersion classes at her new school. I plan on taking a few conversation classes in Spanish so I can learn along with her.

Also, what is up with learning the language of a toddler? I think Nathan speaks so well, until we get around people who aren't used to his "l's" be "w's", or the cute words I have yet to correct him on(Like a gun being a boomer, or food being "electable" instead of delectable, and his wanting to watch a woovie.)

No comments: