Today is a good place to be.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

What is this about Wendy?

Wendy is coming very soon to stay with us for the summer!!

So, here is the story: When I was 17 I lived in Brussels, Belgium for a year as an exchange student. The family I stayed with had a housekeeper named Carine. She cooked and did laundry and watched the children until about 5:00 every night. Carine was my true friend. She did not speak english, so she is the one person who really forced me to use my French. And I wanted to talk to her. She was like a big sister. I confided with her many of my problems. She understood the challenges I was facing. She understood how lonely I felt. She had a daughter who was about 3 years old, and she came to work with Carine, went to school with my host brother and sisters and myself(it was a private catholic school pre-K thru the last year of school). Carine and Wendy were really an extension of my family in Belgium.

Well, now Wendy is 17(Boy, do I feel old!!!). She wants an adventure of her own. Carine thought to use an exchange program, but then decided she would like it if she could send her only daughter to someone she knew. One of my host sisters, Jennifer, lived the previous year in St. Louis as an exchange student and was able to visit us for several days last June. We all enjoyed having her here so much. In fact, Jeremy and I were saying how much fun it would be to have another host sister come to our place again. And within a week of our conversation I heard from Carine asking us if we would be willing to have Wendy in our home, and we were!

I have a few pictures, but for some reason am unable to get them on here.... if I can figure it out, I will post them. But for now, we are VERY EXCITED WENDY IS COMING!!! Yahoo! We have all sorts of activities planned- if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know!



http://www.visitbelgium.com/factsfigures.htm

No comments: