Today is a good place to be.

Monday, June 9, 2008

Sounds of Music....

Leila has been taking music classes for well over a year now. She sings all of the time. She sings for everything, and really loves to make up her own songs. One day when her singing was just too much for Jeremy and I to handle I told her how good the acoustics were in our powder room and she needed to go in there and shut the door and watch herself sing. It worked, she sang her heart out and we had a break.

The beginning of this year Nathan was finally old enough to join in. Funny little thing he is: He would go sit with her while they were singing at her performances before he was part of the class, but at his first performance he was having nothing to do with it. He enjoyed class, but chose to become a "music school dropout" his last two weeks of class. He missed out. But he showed up for his second performance, he actually sat with the class for the last two songs.

Leila and Nathan are both wonderful singers. I love to sing, but am very shy about it. In fact it wasn't until after Leila was born I joined my church choir. I did sing as a child. At church they focus on songs(the spirit lives in music) and have us sing as children and as teenageers. In grade school I had a wonderful music teacher who kept telling me how wonderful my voice was. He talked me into trying out for Honors Choir in the 6th grade, and I made it as an alto. I was thrilled. Alto parts are so fun to sing, but unfortunately I am not talented enough to pick the parts out, I must sit next to someone who is stronger than me. My mom always sang Alto and I enjoy those parts because it makes me think of her. Anyway, back to my music teacher, whose name escapes me, he was a very strong influence in my life. I sincerely believe it is because of him I have the confidence to sing today(although I still quite shy with it). I wish I knew how to tell him that. I think teachers always hope to leave a lasting impression on children, but rarely do they ever find out if they really did. So, thank you music teacher for instilling the desire and confidence in me to keep teaching. Someday I will remember your name and find you to thank you.

How did a post about the children become all about me? Hmmm... is that a problem of mine?
Anyway, Friday was their performance and Stephanie has really done wonders for my children. I am thankful there are people out there with talents that are much greater than mine and choose to share them with my children. Thank you Stephanie.





Before class with BFF Elizabeth(Both of my kids adore her)










Singing Rock-a-bye Baby





With Stephanie and baby Sagie(Sage). This year they sange Folk songs,which was fun because I knew most of them. Leila's favorite was defiantely "Puff the Magic Dragon". Nate liked "If I had a hammer" I am sure it was for the song, not the inflatable hammers they were able to use during the song.


No comments: