Today is a good place to be.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Twilight book and others...

my friend Zoe had posted about reading the twilight series. She went camping with her boys and was reading after they were asleep and suddenly heard some howling from outside... it was a pack of coyotes out hunting... what a thrill! Right?
As a teenager I was obsessed with Anne Rices' vampire novels- wanting to become one myself. They was fun to read about and I loved the settings and the history- but life got busy and I guess you could say growing up got in the way and other than the occasional costume at Halloween, vampires ceased to be a topic my mind thought about. Then about a year ago we had book club, and I reunited with the dark, yet exciting topic of vampires. Stephanie Meyers books take place in high school, which reminded of all that teenage angst I happened to be going thru while reading Rices books. It definitely took me back and I enjoyed the "escape" the Meyers books gave me.
I will admit to reading all 4 of the Twilight Series. I have to say how very grateful I am that there will be no more books in this series because I simply sat around for as many days at it took to read the books to completion(I read the first two books in a matter of days. The third too me several weeks. The fourth maybe a month-- so I did slow down and was somewhat more productive during the last two books.) Meyers is a new author and I really admire her for writing and publishing and investing her time in her creative talent. I have the writing bug in me, but simply do not invest my time to see if it would be possible to have decent results. Maybe I am lazy, maybe I am afraid nothing really good would come out of it, maybe I simply don't have the time-- who knows. So, for a beginner(and I know I couldn't do any better), I don't think she is the best author in the world. But she is a beginner and will definitely improve, and did improve from the first book to the fourth. And her writing is entertaining and exciting none the less. And that is what these books were for me: Entertainment.
So, I plan to never discuss these books again, and this entry is simply ridding my life of further discussion(Although I know me... I will likely still join in). I liked these books for the escapism. I liked revisiting vampires and their lives. I like the "vegetarian" aspect of the vampire family. I LOVED that it took place in the Northwest. I didn't like Bella so much- I don't think she deserved Edwards or Jacobs admiration. I think she was probably a typical teenager, but it annoyed me that she tried to "mother" her father so much, but still acted like a little punk at times(like I did when I was her age). If she was really so mature, she wouldn't have pulled half of the crap she did. Maybe just a note that no matter how old/mature you behave, your age is still your age and you will end up acting it at some point. Also it annoyed me she couldn't see beyond her love of Edward to really plan her future? I had a boyfriend in high school- one I am sure I really loved- but I still could plan my future. And when we broke up I was crushed, but was not about to die- so either my love was not as great as hers- or her ambition for life wasn't as great as mine. I liked Jacob- his fault was falling in love with Bella. He invested way too much time with her when he could totally see she was head over heals in love with Edward. He was also warm-- I like warmth. Especially important for me to have a(my husbands) warm body in my bed for my cold toes this time of year. Edward was cool and collected and I could only dream someone that sophisticated would fall for me. I loved how he loved Bella for who she was. She painted herself as a pretty plain Jane, and he loved her anyway. Maybe it was their connection that I appreciated. But, I am not sure why a guy this old would want to hang out in High School. With the resources of that family, the high school set up seemed like kind of a stretch(maybe I am forgetting some details as to why they were going to school in the first place). And he would probably kill me with hypothermia-- no midnight snuggling for us- I would be too cold to get that close to him. He would be seeing me wearing several layers of sweats, and we all know sweats don't do much for the figure. He would either suck my blood to get rid of me, or run up the coast to live with his cousins in Canada.
So now the movie is coming out. I am sure I will see it at some point, but I am not looking forward to it. I am never satisfied with movies made from books. My imagination is just too far advanced for film. That, or I am a spoiled brat and want to see things the way I imagined it, not someone else's interpretation. When I do finally see the movie I just need to keep an open mind and enjoy the movie for what I enjoyed the books: Entertainment.

(Thanks Julie for posting the preview on your blog- it got me thinking and caused me to take a few minutes to free-write.)

No comments: