Today is a good place to be.

Friday, June 5, 2009

Packing is a Funny Thing

Against my druthers, Jeremy is heading out to the wilderness with the two big kids for two nights of wilderness fun. He is meeting up at Detroit Lake with his Dad to make use of his Dads new camper, and his dads trusted boat. The kids love the boat.

I personally was not and am still not completely OK with this outing because my babies will be away from for two nights. And as wonderful as Jeremy is, he isn't the most observant person in the world, a trait in which he inherited from his father. I am OK with the fact I am not expected to go with my almost 4 month old, but I am seriously dealing with anxiety with the 4 & 5 year old going. We went over rules rules rules last night at dinner: 1- do NOT talk to strangers. 2-if anyone tries to talk to you or take you, you are allowed to scream as loud as possible and find Dad, Grandpa, or another adult that has kids around them- but Dad and Grandpa first. 3- you are not allowed near the water without a life vest. 4- you are not allowed to swim without Dad right there with you. 5-do not under any circumstances loose sight of your Dad. The kids came up with their own rules: don't kick your sister(good one Nate!) don't forget your toys when are coming home(very logical Leila). I have a few rules for Jeremy regarding the kids... but I don't want to come off as a control-freak Mom, so I will not post them here.

I am the bravest mom in the world right now.

So, to the subject of this post: Packing is a funny thing. I enlisted the kids help packing and I am always amazed at what they want to pack. I explain why we need at least one pair of long pants and long sleeve shirt, why we need to pack an extra pair of underwear and socks, why I am putting in only bright clothes(sorry Nate- I totally veto'd his camouflage). I also explained they are in charge of any extras: Any barbies, cars, random pieces of plastic that had broken off a great toy and they still can not part with it.

Leila placed next to bag her things she would like to take. Two Barbies, four outfits(one of the dolls was nude-strangely enough Rick Rick(her boy Barbie) wasn't packed up-maybe he was to stay home with the kids?), a few books.

Nathan put out a pile of books. 17 to be exact. Now my kids LOVE books. I am raising readers for sure with their passion for reading. BUT, my boy loves cars and would be lost for a weekend if he didn't have any to play with.

I came downstairs to find their back-packs out and stuffed full of stuff I do not know. They just can't have enough.

Jeremy took today off since he worked both Saturday and Sunday of last weekend and had several long days this week. It was nice to get in a shower at normal speed- not the warped speed of supermom. Jeremy had hopes of leaving around 11, but its 9:15 and he has yet to shower and pack and in about another 30 minutes I will lock him out of his bedroom since the baby needs her nap, I have plans this afternoon and am relying on her getting a good one today, and he will get the same wrath as the children if he dares wake my sleeping baby.

3 comments:

Christy said...

How fun!! I can't wait to hear how it went. I hope you get to relax some, Megan. I totally understand your anxiety :) They'll be fine!!

Jill said...

I'm with ya on the anxiety about you not being there when the kids are in the great out doors near water. I would feel exactly the same way. Pray a lot! I'm sure they'll be fine and have a fabulous time. I hope you have a good quiet time and don't worry too much! Definitely rent some girl movies.

Breezy said...

What a fun post. Somehow the men seem to do just fine even with all of our fretting. I can't believe that Kathryn is 4 months! Wow time flies. It is so smart to have your kids pack with you. With us Greyson is usually taking out the things I'm putting in.