Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm not even going to be bad once

This little video is from a perfect day last week. We were all up quite early. We had no fighting previously. In fact, we were dressed and out the door to WinCo by 8:30- WOW! I am just a super mom I guess. Except... it didn't last.

At WinCo in the bulk food section, Nathan, after being told not to of course, pulled the shopping cart on its side on top of him, with Baby in her Baby Seat. Panic! What child do I help first? Well I went to the baby and pulled her out of her seat. She was securely buckled and didn't get hit, just jolted and a bit scared. It did break the hook on her car seat, so we can't use it with its base anymore. She is almost big enough to put in the next car seat up we have for her, so I know she will be OK using the seat belt and car seat.

Nathan was pinned under the cart, so I pulled him out and he was crying. Mostly because he knew he was in big trouble. A few Mommy's were helping me and I decided I couldn't keep shopping- it upset me too much. Once I determined we were all OK, and dried a few of my panicked tears, one lady handed my purse to Leila and took my barely full shopping cart to an employee to put back items and wished me luck on the rest of my day. Then Leila realized we were not buying apples or peanuts in the shell (Which is what Leila and I were putting in bag when the incident took place), and she joined in on the crying not quite getting that she wasn't helping, only understanding that this abrupt stop of a shopping trip was over and she was not getting what she really wanted to have to eat when we got home. Sorry kiddo.

At home I calmed down and made out my list for Jeremy to go later that evening and just took it easy. I did start laughing about the comedy of all three kids crying for various reason. Once I knew no one was hurt, it was OK to laugh about. I decided that just has to be my way right now... laugh at what I can not change and go with the flow. The day might not have been perfect the way it seemed to start out, but I had a few good hours and in the long run, how lucky!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

how in the world does anyone, let alone a four year old pull a shopping cart over on himself, turtle style. whew... When Carina was a few months old I drove a shopping cart that she was secured to down a small flight of stairs. It is amazing mothers ever leave the house.

Amy said...

I'm terrified of shopping with my kids at two, I can't think about three.

I do a lot shopping at 6 am just to avoid the whining, crying, fighting, etc.

You are a supermom even if Jeremy had to go back!

Vixie said...

You are supermom!! Don't let anyone tell you differently. I too enjoy shopping in the wee hours of the morning - or the later hours of the evening so as not to have more than one child with me. However, there are times that we all go to the store. However, at least mine are small enough to sit in the cart with a small bag of cookies.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had that terrible experience. Just know we all have those days. Everytime I go out (with all three kids) someone will always say "Wow, 3 boys you have your hands full." And I always want to say "Tell mw something I don't already know." Keep up the good work, you are an awesome mom.

jae said...

I love that video, it's so cute!!

I'm glad that both Kathryn and Nathan are ok and just got mostly frightened rather than worse. But to have to leave without her peanuts?? Leila may be traumatized forever! ;)

No pics of the bangs but I did finally get them to tame down and not look like horns!

Love you back. Have a great day!

j

vaxhacker said...

Very cute :)

I'd settle for "I'm not even going to be bad once" will all the innocence of that age, especially as I (try not to) think about my oldest going off to high school in a couple of years (!)

Glad to hear they're ok. We had a few of those moments when the boys were little, too.