Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Einstein

So this morning I was ready to jump the shower. Baby was happy on my bed, but I decided to put in a Baby Einstein DVD-Bach- for her listening pleasure(she was faced away from the TV). Baby Einstein has a series of DVD's with interesting and stimulating images paired with music that has proven to open a child's mind. We purchased several when Leila was a baby because we wanted her to grow and be smart. At the time I was convinced(maybe not convinced but thought I would get it a try) that the newest gadgets or latest fads or most colorful educational toys would help my child be a genius. But my honest feeling now is I will teach her what is important- no DVD or TV show can. Not saying DVD's and TV programs aren't tools for teaching, but they are no substitute for my involvement. Even educational toys won't help if a child doesn't have someone to interact and play with. That being said, I am not a mom who never turns on the TV- in fact we have it on way too much - something I struggle with every day. So I will openly admit its not healthy, and at the same time I will admit it I use it.

So, back to today, after putting on the DVD a little after 8:00, Leila comes in my room from waking up(Nathan was downstairs playing- he is my early bird- we are lucky if he wakes up after 7:00!) and she starts watching the DVD. Nathan comes up to check on us(if he is downstairs by himself he will come up every few minutes-another reason my next house will be a ranch house- I worry about him clear downstairs) and joins Leila on the bed- eyes like her- glued to the TV. I jump in the shower and wash quickly, jump out and the two older are still enjoying the feature film. I thought they would be bored of it by now. The baby is most certainly enjoying the company!

I asked them: Do you guys really like this baby movie? They are too enthralled to answer. I guess anything on the TV is better than nothing. At least there is no violence in these Baby Einstein DVD's!

3 comments:

Alesha said...

Hey, that is just awesome that you got to shower! And to think that they were well entertained while you showered. WOW! Maybe I need to try some of those movies. My girls won't watch TV for more then 15 min. if I am lucky. Showers are hard to get around her still.

Jill said...

We have a bunch of those DVDs too and although I don't think my kids are learning tons they are entertaining for some reason, even for the older ones, and usually have nice background music so what the heck, put them on!! :) If it gives you a short break for a shower it can't be all that bad!

brenda said...

Your blog is gorgeous! I just love it. You've inspired me to change my plain background, so wish me luck. (By the way, my 10yo Sam will sit and watch Baby Einstein--it's mesmerizing!)