Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Relay for LIFE!

When you think of CANCER, do you think FUN?

No-- most people don't. But I can change your mind! Last year we had fun while raising money for the American Cancer Soceity RELAY FOR LIFE, Forest Grove. Fun, and hard work. We all get tired from lack of sleep, over exertion and so much going on around us, but hey, is only 24 hours! Here is a picture of two of my favorite men "bumping bellies":

















They were really good sports, my husband and brother-in-law. I can't remember who won, but a good time was had by those of us watching. I am not sure they should quit thier day jobs and become sumo wrestlers, but it was definately funny. Amy and I never laughed so hard.

Here Jeremy and I are climbing the rock wall:























I did fine going up-- felt really cool and like I was quite the woman. They said, once you get up there, all you have to do is let go and your body weight will slowly rapelle you down. Jeremy got up before me and let himself down before me(such chivalry!). I got to the top and realized I wasn't so sure about letting go. My family was yelling, "Just let go!" The Army guys were yelling, "No troubles, just let go, it rapelles you nice and slow." But I couldn't find it in myself to "JUST LET GO!" I am not afraid of heights, but maybe I am afraid of my body weight. Suddenly I was not secure in the pully system in place. I wished I had lost a bit more weight at that point! LOL. Obviously I did let go. My legs were a bit weak and I landed on my bum. But I did it and I loved it. Jeremy thought I looked cute in the harness! I think I could get into this for real someday. When my kids are bit older, maybe when they will do it with me?

Here are some other fun pics. Diane was our Survivor- we were excited to have her with us this year. Last year was newly diagnosed and didn't feel up to coming out. Its amazing our kids stayed with us. The HOPE sign burned all night and reminded us all why we were doing this. You can see our Monkey, and the monkey's inside our campsite! Fun fun fun!






















At Relay, people from within the community gather to celebrate survivors, remember those lost to cancer, and to fight back against this disease. Relay participants help raise money and awareness to support the American Cancer Society in its lifesaving mission to eliminate cancer as a major health issue. During Relay For Life events, teams of people gather at schools, fairgrounds, or parks and take turns walking or running laps. The events are held overnight to represent the fact that cancer never sleeps. Through the survivors’ lap and the luminaria ceremony, we honor the people who have faced cancer first hand, and we remember those who have been lost to this disease.
I chose Relay for Life, Forest Grove because of my dear Grandmother Margaret Estelle Rice Frederick. It is held at Neil Armstrong Middle School, however when I started years ago, it was held at Forest Grove High School, which we could see from my Grandparents backyard. Grandma passed away from cancer around 11 years ago. But sadly, she isn't the only we have lost to cancer. In my family we lost my cousin Scotty at the very young age of 16, my Uncle Jack on my mothers side, and others I wasn't as close to. My husbands Grandfather Larry also fell victim. I personally have lost several friends. But we also have many friends who are survivors of Cancer. They are true heros. My favorite part of Relay is the Luminaria Ceremony. At night they light candles in "Honor Of" or in "Memory Of" loved ones. These candles are put in white bags that are decorated and they line the tracks, and this is how our walk is lit all night long. Its a very reverent and special time to really reflect on our loved ones. It makes what we are doing mean that much more.
Last year my entire family came out. It was rainy and cold, which was nice compared to the year before when we had temps well over 100 degrees, but only my family and kids, and the teenagers spent the night. We had fun. The event has entertainment thru out the entire time. Teams all have different things going on. I love the memories we create. I have to say it is a lot of work, and I end up doing most of it, but its important to me to have a team, and I do get a lot of support. So here we go again!
This year I am on the committee as Advocacy Chair. Last year I did publicity. I took on publicity as there had not been one previously, and all the work I did was immediate relief to the Event Chair. Since no one else had ever stepped up, everything I did was a lot more than previously done! Yahoo! Points for me! Same deal with Advocacy-- I am the first. So I can set the bar however low or high I want to. My main goal is educate people on what ballot measures are out there to vote on, how to get registered to vote if they are not already, and how we can make a difference in Salem. Lets make our state a cancer free state! How is that for excitement?
This years event will be held at Neil Armstrong Middle School, July 11-12 6PM-6PM. My team is the Barrel of Monkeys. This years theme is "Decade of Relay" so our team needs to choose a decade(Past or future) to decorate our campsite as. Please email me with any ideas of what we should do. Should be a lot of fun! I invite all of my friends and family(Family should plan on it since I count on you to be my walkers) to join us. There will be the rock wall again, the silent auction, music, fun!
I really hope my friends will be able to come and see what I am talking about. My family has been so supportive, but this is so much fun. Everywhere you look you see people with a unified purpose, and its overwhelming to think we contributing to eliminating cancer and may very well see a day when we will not loose another loved one to this terrible disease!

If you want to donate feel free. I more than invite you to come-- I expect it!

Click here to visit my personal page.If the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeGreatWestDivision?px=3728208&pg=personal&fr_id=5640&et=qZQ1TZGv_ExM9yMfD03xOw..&s_tafId=100189
Click here to view the team page for Barrel of MonkeysIf the text above does not appear as a clickable link, you can visit the web address:http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeGreatWestDivision?team_id=194464&pg=team&fr_id=5640&et=tejWgDrnAy5edU0v5F1rkA..&s_tafId=100189

1-800-ACS-2345

No comments: