Today is a good place to be.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Surgery Questions and tender moments

The kids have been thinking a lot about Kathryn's surgery next month.  I under estimate how much they overhear me talk about it- and they hear me talk about it over and over since I have updated several friends and family over the past week, so it must feel huge and scary to them.

Tonight Nathan asked Jeremy if Kathryn would have a scar.  Jeremy told him yes.  Nathan asked if it could be shaped like a lightening bolt.  I told Jeremy to remember to ask the surgeon that.

He came in a bit later to talk to me more about Kathryn's surgery. 
Nathan:  Mom, how will they open her up mom?
Me: They will use a scalpel that will be sterile and clean to open her.
Nathan:  Is it like a knife?
Me:  Yes.  It is like a knife.  The doctor is very good at his job and will take very good care of her.
Nathan: Is it sharp?
Me: Yea, I think it is pretty sharp.
Nathan: Will Kathryn cry because it hurts so bad?
Me: No, Nathan, Kathryn will be asleep and have special medicine so she won't remember the surgery.  She will wake up and feel some pain, but won't remember anything the doctors did to her.  She will probably cry after the surgery, but not during.
Nathan: Will you be with her at the hospital?
Me:  Yes.
Nathan: Where will we be?
Me:  Your Grandma(not sure which one yet) will be here with you in the morning and take you to school.  After you get home from school Daddy will come and get you and bring you to see Kathryn at the hospital.  I think she will like to see you.  You make her happy, and that will brighten her day.
Nathan: That makes me happy we can see her Mom.  She sure must love us because I sure love her.  I hope she is going to be OK mom.
Me:  Nathan, she has very good doctors.  Kathryn will have a blessing the night before.  Mommy and Daddy love her and you and Leila so much- we will always take care of you to make sure you will always be strong and healthy.
Nathan:  I love you mom.  We will keep Kathryn in our prayers every day.
He then kisses me and bounds off to bed where he relays our conversation to Leila in the top bunk.

This conversation took place with him nestled in my arms, squirming around, his eyes big and concerned.  The love he has for his sister is moving.  We will get through this-- as a family-- and be stronger for it.

1 comment:

Vixie said...

That is so sweet. It is so neat to see the sweetness in that boy. Such a precious moment. You are so good at capturing the spirit and feeling on the moment. Good Job Mom!!!