Today is a good place to be.

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Meal Planning = Saving Money!

I am a list maker.  I love my calendar.  I write out things I am thinking through and I have my own little methods to compartmentalize and deal with my issues.  I am not the most organized person in the world, but what I do brings me great comfort. 

Money has been tight lately and I am panicking with the future of our bills increasing and my income decreasing.  So, I started making several lists--  Sunday I did something I haven't done all summer long:  I made a meal plan, with my grocery list to the right of it.  I got all the way through next Week.  Yay for me! 

Funny thing is, I went and bought food from my list, which included meats and cheeses among other items that are usually costly, and I spent less than I have been spending.  This means, if I stick to my list and buy the meals I have planed for, I saved some money!  Double Yay for me!

I would love to coupon, but I just can't get it down.  I have friends and a sister who save HUNDREDS of dollars a month on couponing, but for whatever reason I just can't figure it out for me.  So I go to Winco, which has pretty good pricing, and I feel satisfied with my efforts.

So, I know its boring and mundane, but it really has helped make my week easier.  I am amazed at the comfort it gives me to look at what I have already planned and figured out at the start of my day, so I don't have to stress, or even think about at the end of my day.  My kids couldn't care less, but my husband appreciates my cooking.  I usually try to cook up extra for his lunch the next day- and depending on the meal and my ingredients on hand maybe another batch to freeze for a future meal.  Nathan is my very picky eater, so gets salad most days.  I am not a short-order cook.  

Here is my plan:
Monday: bbq chicken & noodles (Super yummy and enjoyed with friends)
Tuesday: tacos(kids will always eat with us)
Weds: Beef stew & Salad(One of Leila's favorites)
Thurs: Spaghetti, bread, salad
Friday: BONUS DAY- Dinner at moms!(I am taking rolls)
Saturday: Chicken & potatoes
Sunday: Soup & Rolls & Salad
Monday: Burgers & Pasta Salad
Tuesday: tacos
Weds: Crock-pot chicken, bread, salad
Thurs:Caribbean Pork & Rice
Fri:

I think if I could get a good three to four weeks worth of individual meals, I could just interchange them on a fairly routine basis.  But to do that, I need serious help- any ideas on easy menus?

My family has a recipe blog- nothing fancy- but fun for us to look at:  http://familyrecipes-meganconser.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. A menu plan saves time, money, and energy. I started couponing since we have moved, and I just started a little at a time, and have gotten better at it, but it does take time. Good luck and I will try and send some recipes to you.

Oyama Family said...

I am a "couponer" drop-out, tried it and quit. I'm with you, I just can't get my brain aorund it. BUT...I would give anything to be able to shop at Winco again...Walmart sucks and does NOT help me save any money! But meal planning does, cause then I stick to my list like I should :) Good luck with the new endeavor!

Tonya said...

I was not the best couponer either and found myself buying way more processed stuff than I ever had...so I gave up to. I stick with WINCO, just like you, look for the best deals and feel good about that. Good for you for spending less. That's great!!! Have you ever made taco soup? So good and easy. Call me and I will give you some easy recipes. That's much easier than typing them out:)