Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I am not a runner

I am not a runner. I never will be a runner. I think most runners have a mental problem that causes them to run. Running is not even natural or good for the human body. The benefits of running are not a huge amount better than that of walking(which I love walking by the way).

That being said: I am starting to run.

I have been at it pretty regularly. You may remember my post about the 5K I was going to walk/run with my sister back in Feb- well I did it and enjoyed it and wished I could have run more of it. I might have been able to, except I only trained for about three days in the several weeks before the 5K.... At first when I started out I was simply walking as usual, then I would pick a landmark and try to get to it. I couldn't always make it, but it felt good. Tonight I have been able to run past my landmarks. I am not sure when I will be able to run the whole time I go out, but I am actually excited to find out(see mental problem from above).

Things I am learning from running:

  • It smells good outside
  • A cloudy night looks different from a clear night
  • Music choice and volume make a difference
  • Its important to stretch
  • I feel really cool running down a hill(and its easier than running up it)
  • I am very self-conscious while running and pray no-one ever tells me the saw me huffing and puffing
  • I might be a runner yet!

I am toying with the idea of entering into several races- my sister has been toying with the idea of contracting a mental illness like myself and has sent me several very cool websites.


http://www.mapmyrun.com/

http://www.orrc.net/

http://www.c25k.com/

I am starting out slow with my health and weight my main motivator. Who knows where it will lead.

More to come....

4 comments:

Hesses Madhouse said...

Way to go Megan! I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Oyama Family said...

You can do it Megan! I love that you're going mentally insane, just like me :)

Alesha said...

Good for you. I would love to be one of those crazy people, but really don't think I can. Who knows I may change someday like you. You are awesome.

Tonya said...

I get that crazy bug sometimes too. Last time I did I surprised myself by running 2.5 miles without stopping. Not a huge feat for a real runner, but a huge accomplishment for me:) I'm interested in trying a 5K one of these days. Go Megan!