Today is a good place to be.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

A house needs a grandma in it.

Louisa May Alcott made the title statement about a house needing a grandma. I know this first hand as I have had the pleasure of having my two mothers in my home as role of Grandmother. In reviewing this past few weeks when I watched my mom and my mom by marriage helping me by loving my children I think I found a quote that could possibly explain their complete devotion and love for their grandchildren:



"Our grandchildren accept us for ourselves, without rebuke or effort to change us, as no one in our entire lives has ever done, not our parents, siblings, spouses, friends - and hardly ever our own grown children. ~Ruth Goode"



These amazing women in my life: Grandma Mary and Grandma Sue love my children without any question and I will forever love them for doing this. My children feel safe and cared for by these two women. What child could want for more?



I didn't completely realize how much my own mother loved me until the day I held my first baby in my arms. This love was so amazing to me, as I cared for my new baby and looked into her eyes in her earliest days I strongly felt she KNEW how much I loved her. This meant that I knew this love of my mother in my earliest days too. I think I must have forgot about it during my learning years and crazy teen years, but sincerely recognized it once I became a mother myself.



My Mother by Marriage came up this past week to help out. She remembered her experiences as a new mother of three and wanted to help us as she knows first hand the change from two to three can be a bit daunting. She cooked and cleaned, but the most important thing she did this past week was take care of and love my children. She held the baby so I could read to Nathan or paint Leila's nails. She played on the floor or read with both kids while I nursed the baby allowing the children to enjoy her companionship and not miss mine. What fun memories for both Grandma and Grandchildren. Thank you Sue for your time and love this past week.



My Mother has been around almost every day to love on this baby. She is more than willing to slow her life down to "baby time" and enjoy her moments with this new little angel. I don't think I know a woman who LOVES babies more than my own mother. She loves me too. I know this thru how she treats my children, and how she treats me. There is a comfort in my own mother that I can let her see my tired and somewhat ragged state and not feel like I shouldn't let this side of me out. She can look at me or hear in my voice that I might need a nap or a diet coke, or simply a hug. She drives out to see me and my kids and is always willing to run Leila to school, or bring "frosties" over to my deprived children. Thank you Mom for everything you do for me.


It is quite special the bond between Grandma and Grandchild. My own Grandmothers were very special to me. I have felt their presence many times since they passed away in 1996, and many times it has been when I have been loving and caring for my own children. My two sweet girls have parts of their Grandmother's names in their middle names. Leila Estelle- middle name for Margaret Estelle, and Kathryn Ella- middle name for Von Della. They now have a link to two very special women in my life. They also have relationship with their own Grandma's that I am sure they treasure in their own lives.
When a child is born, so are grandmothers. ~Judith Levy

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, that was beautifully stated!

Rachel said...

Very beautiful!
BTW-- hug your mom for me- she is such a sweetie and was always so good to me!(on the few occasions that we met) She looks fab!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful for your children to be able to have 2 grandma's that love them so much. I always hear women say "I wish I would have known that being a Grandma was so wonderful earlier-- I would have done that first."