Today is a good place to be.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Communication is important

I am finding life without proper communication is not comfortable. when I can't hear well, when I am not heard, when I can't express myself I am very unhappy. As I am teaching my children how to communicate, I never realized just how hard it would be. They have a hard time asking for help. They have a hard time expressing their anger. I am embarrassed to admit I sometimes have a hard time hearing and listening to them with all the distractions in our lives.

So, I started a communication journal with the two big kids. They are able to privately think about what they want to say to me and write it down. I can respond and we can have a quiet dialog going on. My hopes are we can write about our feelings in a way we might not be able to talk about them yet. And of course I enjoy trying to read what they are writing, since their style of writing is a bit more phonetic still.

I hope this helps. Communication skills are one of the most important skills to have. I want my kids to be prepared in this area. Love you guys!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Quilty Conscience said...

What a terrific idea! Good for you. I wish I would have had something like that in my childhood. Hugs!

Amy said...

I asked Annalina if she wanted to do this too and she was so excited! Thanks for the idea! Hey, our kids can be penpals while we are in Idaho!