Today is a good place to be.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Tri-athlete- TWICE!

On July 31, 2010 I participated in the Blue Lake All Womens Tri-it Tri-athlon. My Second Triathlon was a different experience resulting in the same exciting sense of accomplishment. Overall I felt much more prepared because I knew no matter how crazy I felt inside, it would all work out OK and I would finish(rather I would not DIE on the course).
This time was different because my dear friend Melia and I committed to doing this race together over dinner one night. We quickly talked my sister Amy into joining us(She almost did the Lebanon Race with me, but wasn't quite ready- I knew she would be joining me very soon). Amy talked my Aunt Renetta into joining us even though Renetta was not OK with swimming in the Lake rather than a pool. My dear friend Vixie also participated- this was her sixth year!
We participated in the Tri-it which is 1/4 mile swim, 12.5 bike, 3.5 mile run. The difference between this and the sprint was the swimming distance only- 1/2 mile.

Having a cheering section really helped me out. Almost my entire family showed up! And my very dear friend Marcie who took my very favorite picture of all came too.

The swim was different from the pool swim at my previous race- but I enjoyed it. The water was 71 degrees and felt great(especially after standing out on the beach for half an hour waiting for our turn to go). The water was murky, so ended up swimming on my back or my side through most of the race and was pleased with my time. I was totally stressing about not having my glasses with me as I am completely blind without them. My niece Adrienne held them for me and handing them over as I came out of the water.

Vixie and I drove the bike course the week before so I had a good idea how long the trek was- and it was LONG! And there was a brutal cross wind. We biked up to Marine Drive and biked clear down past the 205 bridge, then we turned and came back. Being on a straight-away I couldn't tell how much longer it would take me to get back- but finally I made it! Only a couple of prayers were uttered on this trip. I did hoot and holler under the bridge because of the awesome echo it made! My time was almost the same as the time in my previous race- not bad for only biking twice since then!
Back to the transition area my family was greeting me with a poster and cheers! It was exactly what I needed to keep going. My legs were sore and I was pretty tired. In fact, I would have been just fine laying down in the grass and taking a little snooze. Off I went on the run- I didn't run as much of it as I wanted. I am not sure if I was a bit dehydrated at this point or not, but my calves were really tight and not wanting to work for me. The run course was beautiful. I was running with my equals- a lot of the ladies were run/walking too and it made me feel very good about my own fitness level. The path tricked me and lead me back down towards the lake and it seemed like it should have ended much sooner - in fact at one point I was running all by myself wondering if I had gotten off the path or something. It reminded me of the personal journey this has been for me. I kept on going.

Finally I get close to the finish line and see my friend Vixie and her kids waving and cheering for me, I see Melia's family cheering for me, I see Marcie cheering for me, I see my family all cheering for me. I was elated! I hear the announcer say my name, my age, my home town and I felt so HAPPY! I crossed the finish line and caught my breath before I went and collected my baby and got congratulation hugs.
I waited for my dear friends to join me at the finish line and it was sweet to see these amazing women I love accomplish so much for themselves. I admire Renetta, Melia, Amy and Vixie for sure. I am thankful for their examples to me. I am thankful to my friends and family for loving and supporting me and putting up with me.


After the race we milled around a bit at the stores, got some food for the "athletes" and checked my time. I was happy with my time. The kids played really well with their cousins. The baby was tired and ready for bed, so we headed home- and it was great to get a good shower and nap in.

4 comments:

Christy said...

What can I say? You are AMAZING!! Way to go, Megan!

Oyama Family said...

Congrats Megan, you are awesome in my book!! And you got some great finishing pictures, you look great!-hours of sweating, huffing, puffing and working hard...look good on you :)!!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome!

Amy said...

You really look like a professional triathlete! You are an inspiration to me Megan! I am so proud of you! And I love you very much!!