Today is a good place to be.

Monday, May 17, 2010

Our 15 Month old BABY


When Leila was 15 months old, she was no longer a baby. Two days after her 15 month birthday she welcomed a baby brother into the world. She was bigger than life. She was born quite independent so the change happened quite naturally. I had so much anxiety leading up to Nathan's birth, mostly because I worried about what this change would do to Leila. Was I short changing her? Pushing her off my lap too early? Forcing her to grow up to fast? Probably yes I was. But some gifts you just don't question and we made it work.

But she seemed so big. She was our big girl. The big sister.

Nathan stayed a baby for a long time. He was snugly and sweet. We didn't break his habit of a pacifier and bottle as early as we did Leila. After the whirlwind of two in two years we took a breather. Rather I did. Jeremy was happy with our family of 4. We had fun watching our kids grow. Seeing their personalities and their development. While having them this close together was not a planned thing, it turned out to work very well for our family. Leila and Nathan grew together and so many milestones happened so fast it seemed to be an entire family event.





Kathryn is now 15 months old and I can not even begin to recall exactly how hard it was to have these two beautiful children so close together. With working full time, Jeremy and I working different shifts to minimize their time in daycare, it was just really hard. I am realizing that I missed or more likely forgot a lot of the little things, but am so thankful I have Kathryn to show me and remind me of the little parts of development the others went through.

She is not sleeping through the night yet- we will get a night every few weeks or so. She is getting very good at putting herself to sleep on her own(yay!). She is usually very happy, but happens to have quite a temper on her- imagine that? Tantrums are quite normal and comical(She might not agree with the comical part). She can find her nose and her ears on request. She thinks she is as big as the big kids and will be by their sides as much as possible.
It is WONDERFUL to have older kids. Not only can they keep an eye on her while I run upstairs to ... blog... or something, they enjoy watching her. They like seeing her firsts and celebrate with her. They enjoying admiring their baby sister. I love watching their relationships and how different they are.
Kathryn has brought so much love into our home. We really would be no where near as happy if she were not part of our lives- I am sure of it.

We love you baby K! Happy 15 month Birthday! You won't be getting kicked out of the nest or pushed off my lap in two days... you get to stay our baby!

3 comments:

Oyama Family said...

too too cute Megan! I love the early picts of the other 2 also...they are all so adorable!

Tonya said...

Ha! I totally thought that first picture of Leila was baby Kathryn...until I read your post and realized you were honoring each of your kiddos. Yeah, I understand about Kathryn getting to stay the baby. Ivy has been completely spoiled. I just wanted to hold on to her for as long as I could as my baby. It won't work much longer...she goes to Kindergarten this Fall. Boo-Hoo!

Eggeling Family Blog said...

baby K does look so much like Leila did in that first picture. Its funny how big Leila looked to us, and how tiny Kathryn seems to us.