Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Tadpole Larvae




I was so excited for a fun home grown science experiment. Leila saw some little thing swimming around in a garbage can full of water at my Mom's. She asked Grandma if she could take some home thinking they were tadpoles. We had a cute little jar with holes punched in the lid. Leila was fascinated and Nathan was too. She named four of them: Zippy, Wiggly, Mark and Nathan(she originally named Nathan Kathryn, but thought it looked more like a Nathan.). We fed them some baby cereal. Some of them stopped moving and laid on the bottom of the jar(but not the four she named.). She loved these little tadpoles. She spent hours talking to them, showing them around the house. She even introduced them to her teacher who stopped by for a home visit. Leila was probably fantasizing about bringing them to school for show and tell. And in her heart, they were like a new pet.

Funny, we noticed a mosquito laying on top of the water. I thought that was strange since I hadn't seen it before, but maybe I just missed it. I left it in there- I hate mosquitos with a passion. Recalling nights when one would buzz in my ear and feast on my arms. And the grossness of they way they leave big bloody marks after I would squish one that was likely my own blood.

Beth called me the next day with some very bad news. Her boys had taken some home to watch the transformation of tadpole to frog. She reported that these were not tadpoles. These were mosquito larvae. EEEW! I get the creepy crawlings even now writing about it. I thought my drama queen would fall to pieces as certain death was now in Zippy's, Wiggly's, Marks and Nathans future, but we told her what they were, and what mosquitos eat and she didn't bat an eye about getting rid of them.

Jeremy threw them in the neighbors yard. I hope they died and won't come to pay us a visit. Mom ended her mosquito breeding complex by dumping out that water too. Beth's boys were grossed out and disappointed too, but we are all much smarter in terms of larvae.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Next time try Sea-Monkeys! Apparently they can live up to 2 years.

jae said...

Ug, yuck and gross!! This totally cracks me up and creeps me out at the same time!! I'm glad the kids were indifferent about tossing them. I do find it hillarious that Jeremy tossed them over to the neighbors. Funny, I'd do the same. :p

Our kitty's name is Sally; she is a wild kitten and I'm yell at her five times as much as I've ever yelled at D. OMG, she need a spanking!! :)

Tonya said...

This same thing happened to us a couple of summers ago. I saw the poor little "tadpoles" swimming around in our kiddie swimming pool. Obviously I hadn't cleaned it in awhile and it was time to refresh the water so the kids could enjoy the pool. I got out our strainer and some fresh water and tried to save the little buggers. My brother in law educated me. So funny!!!