Today is a good place to be.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Run for Congo

My sister by marriage invited me to join her in the Run for Congo 5K June 26th- a cause she was very excited to support. And of course I said yes! Not only have I been enjoying my own competitive running, its even funner doing it with someone you enjoy being around.

The run was at Macleay Creek Park- in forest park- and was straight UPHILL to the halfway point. Then it was straight down hill obviously to the finish line. My thighs were killing me the next day- I guess running down a dirt/rocky trail uses different muscles than my usual route which is on a sidewalk and much more gradual hills.


The highlight of the event for me was my amazing daughter. She joined in the kids run and RAN THE WHOLE THING! I still haven't figured out how long of a run she did- but I am thinking it was around a mile. She was trailing several boys that were probably around 10. As I was running down the hill(Tamara let her sprinting genes take over and quickly out ran me- although we did stick together UP the hill) I noticed this sweet little girl heading towards me. I was so excited to see her! I asked her if she wanted to turn and go around with me, and she said no- she needed to see where this ended! A bit further down Jeremy was walking with Carina and he was stressed because Leila had gotten away from him(he really needs to take up running). But she was OK. She told me people were "talking" to her- and asked her how. She said they were saying good job and stuff. She then asked me if it was OK that they were talking to her, and I said in this situation yes, it was OK. She wouldn't want to walk off with anyone, but we were all here for an event and it was OK that they cheered her on. Nathan seeing my reaction to Leila wanted to run it- so he and I headed up the trail to find Jeremy and Carina- and there they were- so he technically crossed the finish line too.




What a fun event! Thanks for inviting us!

No comments: