Today is a good place to be.

Monday, July 14, 2008

Wonder Jar

am reading Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. He is on a mission to save our children from Nature Deficit Disorder. This isn't a "real" disorder, but isn't it funny how our kids are growing up in a mostly indoor world? Many of the kids I know prefer to sit in front of the TV, computer, or DS instead of enjoy several hours outside just playing. I am not sure its enough to assume our children will learn to love the outside. I think we need to guide them and teach them how to love it simply by allowing them to experience it like we did as kids. Our parents and grandparents enjoyed it far more than we did as children, and our children and grandchildren will enjoy it far less than us. Its quite sad really.

In the back of this book he lists 100 actions we can take to enjoy outdoor activities, admitting no list could ever be complete. The one that stuck out to me is a "wonder bowl". I am changing it to a "Wonder Jar" so the kids can both have one and we can keep them out. Do your kids fill their pockets full of treasures while outside? Mine do! But I usually catch them before they go thru the wash cycle. This jar is a place they can empty the contents of their pockets and look at their treasure on a daily basis if they want to. If there is something in there I need to get rid of(living or molding), I will do so after bed. :o)

Here are some pictures of my precious children finding treasures on our hike to bridal veil falls last week. The cool thing about this is they were searching on their own, this took no guidance or prompting from me. Maybe my kids won't end up nature deficit.








No comments: