Today is a good place to be.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Relay 2008

Another year done-- I realized my first year was the summer before kids(and pregnancies)- so that would be 6 years ago that we had our first team. I had been the year before to support my friend Brett. What an amazing event. I see all sorts of people volunteer hours and hours of thier time simply because they have the desire and belief of a possibility of a world without cancer. Its amazing to realize how many people have been touched by cancer. This is not a good thing, but the grief of loosing someone close is a heartache shared by too many of us.

This year I was Advocacy Chair. My purpose in this role to share what I have learned and ask people at the event to reach out to our lawmakers to ensure that EVERY Man,woman and child has access to prove cancer screening exams. Right now only 1 in 5 women have access to a federal program that provides lifesaving breast cancer screening. Oregon relies solely on this funding. My job was get to peoples 'stories' down and take thier picture so we can send it into lawmakers. We need to eliminate cancer as a major health problem.

My team, The Barrel of Monkey's had a blast. We didn't sleep much, we walked a ton, and had a great time. It was hot this year, but not as hot as it has been in the past. As of right now we raised $792.92. I am still waiting for $250 from Jeremy's work. Once we receive this, we will exceed my goal to raise $1000. Whoohoo!

The entire even raised over $65,000, but I expect us to reach our goal of $80,000- money keeps rolling in and we can continue to accept donations for this years event until August 31st.

Its fun to have a "passion" to fight for. I love the pure desire of service I saw over and over. People want to give, we want to make the world a better place. Its wonderful to see this. We can make a difference.

Here is my little informational board, and me speaking at the "Celebrate, Remember, Fight Back" Ceremony. Thanks to my family for joining me.



Amy and Jeremy both visited my booth to share thier story on why they are relaying. Both have lost beloved family members and friends to cancer. Amy brought me a snow cone. That was yum.



The girls stopped by to show off thier face paint- Leila was very upset after her bath when she realized the kitty came off. We were sure it was an accident.

No comments: