Today is a good place to be.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A full pea-pea diaper- Yay!


Yes, its funny. After being a parent almost 6 years, Jeremy and I still cheer about the contents of a diaper. Poor Miss Kathryn is getting over her second urinary tract infection. She has now had one more than her Mommy. Poor baby.

We aren't sure what is causing this. The first infection we discovered after she had a fever for about three days with no other symptoms- except I realized the pi-pi diapers were few and far between. We got her on antibiotics, she improved and we felt good about life. The doctor warned us it could come back, so we prepared for it, especially while on vacation. That sweet little girl held off for vacation. I set up an appointment for her to have some x-rays and ultrasound to check on her sweet little kidneys. The doctor wasn't super worried- saying 90% chance its nothing- so my setting it up several weeks out didn't seem like a big deal.

Last week she came down with a fever and started not giving me pee-pee diapers again. I called the advice nurse. She suggested I wait another day since it hadn't be a full 24 hours yet. When I gave her Tylenol and her fever got worse I called back and got her in for an appointment that day. Poor poor baby. This was a different strain of bacteria, so the antibiotics they gave us were not effective. Two days after her appointment she was finally prescribed the right antibiotics. I feel satisfied that I followed my mother intuition and got her in that same day I wanted to. If I had waited another day, she would have simply been miserable another day. Plus the timing is good-they can take a sample at her ultrasound appointment to make sure she is over this infection. No need to catheterize her twice-right?

This morning Jeremy changed her before work and he was thrilled to have had the biggest pea-pea diaper in weeks! Yay! This means our baby is feeling better! And we know she has been feeling better thanks to her smiles, squeaks, chuckles, coos and happy baby status having returned. She does HATE taking medication with a passion. She clamps her mouth down pretty tight. She cries with her mouth shut. I think she said Momma one time. But I hate that I can't explain to her this is for her own good. I think I cry everytime.

Our appointment for the VCUG and Ultrasound is scheduled for July 28th. It should be interesting- we got a letter that advised us how to explain to our child what was going on. Tips on how to keep them still. I look at my 5 month old and kinda laugh- not much will keep her still-- she won't even take a binki. So... it will be interesting to say the least. I found this on the Internet about the x-ray(VCUG): http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=voidcysto
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christy said...

Don't you love what you cheer over after having become a parent? I hope the appointment goes well and they can figure out how to help her. I'm glad she's feeling better, poor baby. My heart goes out to her and momma :)

Oyama Family said...

I LOVE the song to go along with the post..."There she goes..." clever clever girl you are! I like the challenge of mathcing my music to my posts too. So glad she is feeling better, hopefully it was nothing and you can all be done with this mumbo jumbo.