Today is a good place to be.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Losses

We lost Travis on Dec. 3rd.  He is our beautiful niece Carina's Papa.  His passing didn't make sense to us because he was young and had a life with a lot of beauty and good in it.  We will miss Travis.  I loved Travis because he seemed to be the only person in the world that saw and called my giant babies(all over 9 pounds at birth) little and tiny.  When he held them, they looked little and tiny too.  He loved to hold them and wander around when they needed to be walked.  At family events he could often sense when I needed to get my babies back in my arms and would just pluck them from wherever they were and deliver them to me.  As my children started to growing, he talked to them like equals and shared his knowledge with them.  He always seemed very happy with babies and children nearby.  Having his own child was a natural fit and the new title of Dad suited him perfectly.  He always seemed happy with snow and water nearby too.  He loved the outdoors and I was anxious to go kayaking with him, but the last time he finally talked me into it, pregnancy hit and we had to put it off.  Travis knew just about everything about everything.  The plus side of that is I could always ask him a random question and usually get an answer.  I always appreciated him as another non-Conser at Conser family events.  He was a member of the Conser family when I joined it, however we had the bond of both being outsiders in this family and could appreciate each other in that respect.  A funny memory I have of Travis is at our wedding he saved us a huge plate of shrimp to make up for his not getting much shrimp on his own wedding day.  We will join in Travis' memorial on Dec. 22nd. 

On Leila's Blessing Day Nov. 2003

Enjoying snuggles from Leila and Sadie(but espeically Leila) Nov. 2004
Here is Uncle Travis and Aunt Tamra holding our two crazy kids.  Carina is in the photo too, she just wasn't quite ready to be seen yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We lost Grandpa Frederick on Dec. 17th.  Grandpa's passing made more sense.  He was 95.  He and Grandma had been apart for almost 14 years and I know their reunion is sweet.  His funeral will be held on Dec. 23rd.  This date is significant because this is his and Grandma's wedding anniversary- 75 years this year- and also the anniversary of Grandma's funeral 14 years ago.  Grandpa always called me Miss Megan.  He had a twinkle in his eye and liked to tease us.  He could be a grump at times, but we knew Grandpa loved us.  He had a pretty big sweet tooth.  While he and Grandma were touring the US our family would go to their home in Forest Grove and check on everything.  Once we came across a huge stash of chocolate in his frig.  I, being around 11 and very sure of right and wrong, refused to allow my family to take any.  This was Grandpa's after all, we shouldn't steal it.  Upon their return my Dad told him how I guarded his stash and Grandpa rewarded me with my very own chocolate bar.  Which someone else ended up eating at home(I was very annoyed).  As I have visited Grandpa with my children over the past few years I have appreciated his knowledge and memories and experiences.  He has always worked hard for a good life.  In our last few visits Leila and Nathan seemed to recognize and respect my Grandpa as something unique- its not every kid who has a Great Grandfather.  They really liked looking at his trinkets and belongings while we visited and listened to his stories.  Our last visit with Grandpa was at my Aunt Renetta's Home in Monmouth in October while my Aunts Linda and LaDonna were visiting.  I sat with Grandpa at the dinning table and he played with Kathryn.  He would put his had on the table, she would put her hand on the table, he would move his closer to hers, she would move hers closer to his over and over.  They both played and laughed and genuinely enjoyed each others company.  I am grateful to have these memories in my heart.

Leila's Blessing Day Nov. 2003

Grandpa's 90th Birthday- Jan 2005


Visiting Grandpa Dec. 2008
Grandpa's 95th Birthday Bash - Jan 2010- He LOVED Kathryn's red curls

Visit to Grandpa- August 2010


6 comments:

Jill said...

Sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law (I think that's what he is). It is hard when it's someone young but God always has his reasons we'll understand later. Thanks for the sweet words about Grandpa. I am so glad we got to visit a year and a half ago so that my kids got to meet him.

Oyama Family said...

aaawww Megan, sorry for your losses! Such a bummer thing to have to deal with during this time of year when all is "supposed" to be happy. But what a sweet day to hold your Grandpa's services. I hope you all still have a wonderful Christmas!

Hesses Madhouse said...

Sad to hear of your losses Megan. Wonderful photos you have of them and such sweet memories. Thanks for sharing them.

vaxhacker said...

My condolences to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Thank you Megan for your kind words it makes me feel happy to know that you have special memories of Travis that you can share with Carina.

And I am deeply sorry for the loss of your grandfather. It sounds like he had quite a life!

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of your losses. I hope you are comforted and know you will see them again. We love you.